Its history; its food; its little streets covered in paving stones and colorful rugs, surrounded by small tables and chairs with smiling men drinking tea; and its landscape of stunning mosques around the mythical Bosphorus waters, convert Istanbul in one of the most magical cities for anyone who loves traveling throughout the world and discovering cultures, architecture, languages, flavors, music…
Istanbul is so magical, that is considered one of Europe’s most beautiful cities and its historical center is partially listed as a UNESCO World’s Heritage Site… It’s also a transcontinental city, meaning that it occupies territories of more than one continent, in this case, Europe and Asia. You can stand right on the Galata Bridge, looking towards the Black Sea, and you’ll have Europe to your left and Asia to your right, everything as part of the same city! Isn’t it exciting?
Well, thinking about such a wonderful place, we thought April would be the perfect opportunity to recommend it, since the weather’s really nice in Istanbul (mostly sunny, between 49 and 63 F°) and we want to start up this blog with recommendations of our favorite places in the world!
So, these are some of the must-dos when you visit Istanbul, whether you do it this year, or the next one, or whenever you feel like traveling through history and falling even more in love with discovering the world:
- Pick a hotel at the historic center (Sultanahmet), where you walk out the hotels and bump into many of the greatest places to see in the city
- Visit the Blue Mosque, the Hagia Sophia Mosque, the Süleymaniye Mosque and the New Mosque
- Explore the Topkapi Palace
- Go to the Basilica Cistern
- Visit the Istanbul Archaeological Museum, where you’ll find treasures of history, such as the Alexander Sarcophagus
- Go on a Bosphorus tour that takes you almost until the Black Sea and have lunch on the Asian side of Istanbul
- Go on the Golden Horn tour
- Have dinner in one of the restaurants below the Galata Bridge, right next to the Bosphorus waters
- Walk across the Galata Bridge, going north, see the sunset from the Galata Tower –you’ll have an unforgettable view of the mosques and the Bosphorus- and then keep walking north: you’ll find restaurants, bars and stores. Go on until the famous Taksim Square
- Try the Ottoman cuisine (there’s a show involved)!
- Try the stuffed baked potato (you won’t regret it!)
- Eat kebabs, kofte and Baklava
Tip: There are people that go to Istanbul for two or three days and they think they saw the city… Our advice: spend at least a week or ten days; you won’t stop amazing yourself with everything there is to see and with how much you’ll start feeling the place!
Our resort wear pick for the Bosphorus shores…
Whether in white or blue, this hand embroidered pants are perfect for visiting Istanbul in spring or summer! They’re fresh, comfortable and just what you need to go inside any Mosque without having trouble because of your clothes. And, of course, you’ll look beautiful in your trip’s pics!